Christian Wright says:
BREAKING . . . BUPA PRIVATE HEALTHCARE PROVIDER REGISTERS AS AGENT/FUNDER OF NO CAMPAIGN
The chairman of Britain’s private healthcare giant Bupa is the latest business leader to back a ‘No’ vote in the looming Scottish independence referendum…
No campaigners will see the backing of Leitch, who has also been deputy chairman of Lloyds Banking Group, as a coup in the final days before the crunch vote on 18 September. Polls suggest there is nothing to split the two sides of the debate, though a significant chunk of voters are undecided.
Unionists assure us our NHS is safe because it is devolved. What they don’t say is that privatisation of the English NHS will erode and then end the Barnett consequentials that fund it. This will leave no alternative but to privatise the Scottish NHS, too – but don’t take my word for it, ask Dr Lucy Reynolds (below).
So next time a supercilious apologist-for-NO sneers that the NHS is devolved and lies it is therefore ring-fenced, slap his argument up & down with a Barnett consequential.
[Photo: Dylan Jeavons political satirist photoshoppolitics.blogspot.com ]
THE PRIVATISATION OF THE NHS IN ENGLAND — ITS KNOCK ON EFFECT WILL BE THE PRIVATISATION OF THE NHS IN SCOTLAND (Steve Elliott, Labour voters for Scottish Independence)
“Dr Lucy Reynolds, research fellow at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Dr Reynolds has studied the background of the NHS in detail, and in the interview she shares her view of the consequences of the NHS reforms and possible privatisation of the NHS explains in detail the mechanics of the imminent imposition of the UK government’s Health and Social Care Act, February 28th, 2013.
Her assessment is that Thatcher’s 1988 NHS privatisation plan is 80% completed and the remaining 20% is now in place and will gradually, over the next few years, move health care in England into the end game of a 100% US system of insurance based health care. This English NHS privatisation inevitably will cut the Scottish block grant via the Barnett funding formula and the knock on effect is a privatised Scottish NHS” [emphasis added]
Read the rest of the article here
Pingback: An embarrassment of riches | We Ourselves
Pingback: The Scottish NHS faces inevitable decline and eventual extinction after a NO vote - Speymouth